Master of Science M.Sc in Geology.
A Master of Science (M.Sc) degree in Geology is a postgraduate degree for graduates for geology or those who desire a career in the field of geology. MSc. Geology is about the science and technology of exploration, discovery and exploitation of the earth’s resources. Many people know about geology because of its role in Nigeria’s oil and gas sector.
Geology is a course, often located in the faculty of science of Nigerian universities. A Master of science is geology involves class room lectures, field trips (if necessary) and a compulsory project work (thesis). It takes at least 18 months to complete the academic study. Many times, it takes up to 2 years because thesis work can stretch into months.
For a M.Sc. degree in geology, there is need for good knowledge in Chemistry, Physics and or Mathematics. In rare cases, a graduate of any of the afore mentioned courses would be allowed to study for a masters degree in geology.
A Masters degree graduate in Geology has vast career opportunities. They are sought after by petroleum exploration and drilling companies. They work in construction firms for geotechnical and structural engineering inputs. Borehole drilling for water and other related work is the purview of the geologist.
Master of Geology is also a pathway to a PhD, for academia and research work. They also find career in disaster prevention and management.
Specializations of Master of Science in Geology.
- Geochemistry: This makes use of knowledge, tools and processes in chemistry to explore the earth. MSc. Geochemistry would study, the chemical nature of earth forms (soil, rocks, shale etc), changes in earth chemistry, carbon dating, chemical composition of ores and minerals, distribution and contamination of earth chemicals. Geochemistry can also research about global warming and is effects.
- Economic Geology: This specialization is concerned about specific earths’ resources of economic value. It could be gems, ores, construction grade stones or petroleum. Economic geologists are needed to valuate a mineral deposit or ore reserve before exploitation begins.
- Applied Geophysics: Almost like geochemistry, MSc. specialization in Applied geophysics make use of the principles of physics in discovering, locating and mining earths resources. Physical elements like conductivity, electricity, resistivity, seismic wave are used for mineral exploration. Models are drawn up from such tools. A Master degree in Geophysics would surely go in depth of such.
- Petroleum Geology: Also called Petroleum geosciences. This is a specialization focused mainly on the geology of petroleum (crude oil and natural gas). Master degree specialization in petroleum geology would have vast knowledge on the origin, accumulation and storage of petroleum in sub-surface formations.
- Paleontology/Micropaleontology: This specialty of geology studies life forms that have existed before. It studies fossils of plants and animals. Micropaleontology studies microscopic fossils.
- Hydrogeology: Almost like petroleum geology, specialization in Hydrogeology is principally focused with geology of natural water formations and its immediate environment. It studies ground water movements and its effect on soil and rock deposition. The study involves interpretation of geographical data and maps to protect water bodies.
- Engineering Geology: This is the application of geology to engineering. It is important for design, construction and maintenance of engineering works like rails, bridges, tunnels e.t.c. It also involves geotechnics and soil testing
- Mineral Exploration: This can be loosely called mining. Mineral exploration is the recovery of commercial quantity of gems, ores or petroleum from the earth crust.
Nigerian universities offering Master of Science in Geology
Virtually all Nigerian university offer Geology at undergraduate level. A Large number also offer at Masters and PhD level too. This is a select list
- University of Ibadan: www.sci.ui.edu.ng/geowelcome.
- University of Port Harcourt: https://www.uniport.edu.ng/centres/177-centre-for-petroleum-geosciences.html
- University of Jos: www.unijos.edu.ng/geology
- Olabisi Onabanjo University: https://pgs.oouagoiwoye.edu.ng/index.php/faculty-of-science/
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka: www.unn.edu.ng/academics/faculties/geology
- University of Lagos: http://18.104.22.168/departmentdetail.php?sno=129&parentid=1
Popular Nigerian Graduates of Geology
- Late Dr. Rilwanu Lukman: Actually a mining Engineer. He had a Masters degree in Mining and Mineral Exploration from University of mining and metallurgy, Austria (1967-1968) and another Master degree in Mineral Economics from McGill University, Montreal. Canada (1978). He was Nigeria’s former Minister of Petroleum.
- Prof. T.K.S Abam: He bagged a BSc. Geology from University of Ibadan. He proceeded further for postgraduate studies, culminating with a PhD in Engineering Geology and Environmental Geotechnics from University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 1995. He is a fellow of Nigeria Mining and Geosciences Society.