The Flemish Ministry of Education and Training is accepting applications for the Master Mind Scholarships. Master’s degree programmes are on offer at Flanders and Brussels to outstanding students from around the world. A Master Mind Scholarship includes a grant of €8,200 + a tuition fee waiver per academic year (60 ECTS).
Master Mind Scholarship holders only pay an administrative enrolment fee. The grant is paid in instalments and covers accommodation costs, insurances and a significant amount of their living expenses.
The duration of mobility is one academic year for a master’s programme of 60 ECTS and two academic years for a master’s programme of 120 ECTS.
The incoming student is awarded a maximum scholarship of €8 200 per academic year according to the details mentioned in the section Payment of the scholarship.
If a student completes a one-year Master programme, but does not obtain the Master degree at the end of the academic year in 2022 (July or September) the final installment of €1 200 will not be awarded.
In case of a two-year Master Programme at least 54 ECTS must be obtained in the first academic year in 2022 (July or September) to be able to receive the final installment of €1 200 of the first year and to be entitled to the scholarship for the second academic year. More information can be found in the section Payment of the scholarship.
Exceptions to this rule can only be granted by VLUHR in agreement with the hosting institution and the Department of Education and Training.
Eligibility for Master Mind Scholarships
- The applicant should have a high standard of academic performance and/or potential:The student has a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.5 out of 4.0: https://www.scholaro.com/gpa-calculator/ (see annex 1 How to calculate your American GPA
- The applicant applies to take up a master’s degree programme at a Flemish higher education institution.
- The student has a good knowledge of the English language:
- An overall minimum band score of 7.0 on the IELTS test
- A minimum total score of 94 on a TOEFL test
- A C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference Or a similar result in another official language test (recognized by the host institution)
- Online language tests
- Students who enrol for the following programmes for the academic year 2021-2022 are not eligible for the Master Mind Scholarship:
- Preparatory programmes
- Bridging programmes
- Distance learning
How to Apply
If you are interested, you first need to
- Apply to one of the Flemish host institutions that participates in the Master Mind Scholarship Programme.
- Submit your application to the host institution preselects the eligible applications
- The host institution starts the application procedure for the Master Mind Scholarship by creating your application file in the Mobility-Online application tool
- You receive an email generated by the Mobility-Online tool notifying you of being preselected for a Master Mind Scholarship
- You register in the Mobility-Online tool and complete your application file in the Mobility-Online tool before the deadline. Documents to be uploaded:
International passport or national ID
A Curriculum Vitae (including your American GPA out of 4.0 and if applicable your publications, academic awards, previous scholarships, etc.)
https://www.scholaro.com/gpa-calculator/ (see annex: How to calculate your American GPA)
Transcript of records; if written in a language other than Dutch, French, German or English, a certified translation must be enclosed.
English language test results or letter of exemption provided by the host university
Letter of motivation written in English
Two letters of recommendation from professors of your (previous) home university, university of applied sciences (and arts) or recent employer written in English.
Copy of acquired diploma(s); if written in a language other than Dutch, French, German or English, a certified translation must be enclosed.
Timeline and Deadline for Master Mind scholarship
The host institution validates and submits the completed application file in the Mobility-Online tool before the deadline of midnight on April 30, 2021 GMT+1. Applications validated submitted after midnight on April 30, 2021 GMT+1 will not be accepted
Host Institutions for the Scholarship
- KU Leuven
- University of Antwerp
- Ghent University
- Hasselt University
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- AP University of Applied Sciences and Arts
- Erasmus Brussels University of Applied Sciences and Arts
- HOGENT University of Applied Sciences and Arts KdG University of Applied Sciences and Arts
- LUCA School of Arts
- PXL University of Applied Sciences and Arts
For further detail information on the Master Mind scholarship, visit https://www.studyinflanders.be/scholarships/master-mind-scholarships