Canada is a popular study destination across the globe. Yearly, many international students seeking both undergraduate and graduate school admissions. According to data by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) shows a that at least 550,000 students visa permits were granted in 2022.
Postgraduate study in Canada is attractive to many international students from the developing world. Canada offers world-class research and innovation, compared with any country in the developed world. In addition, Canada offers juicy immigration opportunities to postgraduate students. The PGWP grants Master’s and Ph.D. students a chance to stay behind in Canada after studying.
Postgraduate Opportunities in Canada
Although Canada offers a lot of postgraduate study benefits, getting admitted doesn’t come easy. International students need to possess a top GPA on their transcripts. More so, many universities demand English language proficiency tests like IELTS.
Therefore, international students from Ghana, Nigeria, India and some other English speaks countries require IELTS or equivalent in some Canadian universities. Although, waivers can be granted. This IELTS test adds to the cost of Canadian postgraduate admission.
Then, there is the high tuition fees for postgraduate study. While many Canadian universities prefer postgraduate students to be funded, the spaces are too few. International students seeking admission should be ready to bear the hugh cost to be granted a place.
Here comes, Canadian scholarships without IELTS
These scholarships are available to international students. Good news! No need for IELTS to apply.
- The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships: Doctoral students that show excellence in leadership are eligible. It offers a worth of $50,000 per year for three years during doctoral studies.
- University of Alberta Graduate Entrance Scholarship : All Masters and Ph.D. students are eligible to apply. Recipients of the scholarship at Ph.D. will receive a stipend of CA$ 21,000, and an additional CA$ 10,000 will be given to international students to help cover the cost of their fees.
- The University of Ottawa International Doctoral Scholarship:This scholarship is offered to full-time international students. It is valued at CA$ 45,000 over five years. International students, admitted in May 2023 or beyond, during their doctoral studies would enjoy this benefit.
- The Canada-China Scholars Exchange: It provides postgraduate scholarships to students of Chinese origin
Eligible Countries and Eligibility criteria for each of the Postgraduate Scholarships in Canada
Canadian government scholarships are available to a wide range of international students at different universities.
Some of these postgraduate scholarships, such as the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is open to students at any institution in Canada, while others may be specific to certain universities or research institutions.
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships: Ph.D. students studying in Canada are eligible. Vanier is based on academic achievement, research potential, and leadership qualities.
- Canada-China Scholars’ Exchange Program: Chinese students and academics interested in studying or conducting research in other nations. In this case, Canada.