A Postgraduate education can be extremely important, depending on your life choices. A postgraduate study programme can significantly improve your career prospects and open doors to new opportunities in today’s competitive job market. Individuals who pursue advanced education gain specialised knowledge, research skills, and critical thinking abilities, all of which are highly valued in the professional world.
Nigeria, with its diverse range of higher education and research institutions, provides an environment conducive to academic growth and professional development. Moreover, postgraduate study offers the chance to delve deeper into a specific field of interest, contributing to the advancement of knowledge and innovation. There are at least 20,000 doctoral students in Nigeria.
Are you considering a postgraduate programme in Nigeria? This blog post discusses the educational resources, scholarship opportunities, and career opportunities available in the country. Continue reading!
Nigeria’s Postgraduate Education System and Quality Assurance
The National Universities Commission (NUC) is responsible for ensuring quality and standardization across tertiary institutions, providing a reliable framework for pursuing higher education. From renowned federal universities to state and private institutions, Nigeria offers diverse options to suit various academic interests and preferences.
List of NUC Approved Postgraduate Universities in Nigeria
Don’t fall for fake or fathom postgraduate study programs advertised on different media. Here is a list of approved PG schools in Nigeria.
Federal Universities with Postgraduate study approval
1. Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi
2. Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
3. Bayero University, Kano
4. Federal University of Technology, Akure
5. Federal University of Technology, Minna
6. Federal University of Technology, Owerri
7. Micheal Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike
8. Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola
9. National Open University of Nigeria, Lagos https://spgs.nou.edu.ng
10. Nigeria Defence Academy, Kaduna
11. Nnamdi Azikwe University, Akwa
12. Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife
13. University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
14. University of Agriculture, Abeokuta
15. University of Agriculture, Makurdi
16. University of Benin, Benin City
17. University of Calabar, Calabar
18. University of Ibadan, Ibadan
19. University of Ilorin, Ilorin
20. University of Jos, Jos
21. University of Lagos, Akoko
22. University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri
23. University of Nigeria, Nsukka
24. University of Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt
25. University of Uyo, Uyo
26. Usmanu Dan Fodio University, Sokoto
27. Federal University, Lafia
28. Federal University, Ndufu-alike
29. Federal University, Dutse
30. Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurum
31. Federal University, Oye- Ekiti
32. Air Force Institute of Technology, Kaduna
State Universities with Postgraduate Approval
1. Abia State University, Uturu
2. Adamawa State University, Mubi
3. Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko
4. Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
5. Anambra University, Uli
6. Benue State University, Makurdi
7. Cross River University of Technology, Calabar
8. Delta State University, Abraka
9. Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
10. Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti
11. Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu
12. Imo State University, Owerri
13. Kogi State University, Anyigba
14. Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso
15. Lagos State University, Ojo
16. Nasarawa State University, Keffi
17. Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island
18. Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
19. Rivers State University of Science and Technology
20. Umar Musa Yar’Adua University, Katsina
21. Gombe State University, Gombe
22. Ibrahim Babangida University, Lapai
23. Kano State University of Science and Technology
24. Kebbi State University of Science and Technology
25. Kwara State University, Malete
26. Kaduna State University, Kaduna
27. Bauchi State University, Gadau
28. Yobe State University, Damaturu
29. Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Rumuolumeni
30. Tai Solarin University of Education
31. Osun State University, Osogbo
Private Universities with Postgraduate Approval
1. Achievers University, Owo
2. Adeleke University, Ede
3. African University of Science and Technology, Abuja
4. Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State
5. Al-hikmah University, Ilorin (MSc. Only)
6. Al-Qalam University, Katsina
7. American University of Nigeria, Yola
8. Babcock University, Ilishan Remo
9. Baze University, Abuja
10. Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
11. Bells University of Technology, Ota
12. Bingham University, Karu
13. Bowen University, Iwo
14. Caleb University, Lagos
15. Covenant University, Ota
16. Crawford University, Igbesa
17. Crescent University, Abeokuta
18. Fountain University, Osogbo
19. Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike, Enugu state
20. Igbinedion University, Okada
21. Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
22. Landmark University, Omu-Aran
23. Lead City University, Ibadan (MSc. Only)
24. Madona University, Okija
25. Nigerian Turkish Nile University, Abuja
26. Novena University, Ogume
27. Pan-African University, Lekki
28. Redeemer’s University, Ede, Osun State
29. Salem University, Lokoja
30. University of Mkar, Mkar (MSc. Only)
31. Veritas University, Abuja
Variety of Postgraduate Study Programs
Postgraduate study programs in Nigeria cover a broad spectrum of disciplines, ranging from arts and humanities to engineering, sciences, social sciences, and business. Whether you are interested in pursuing a master’s degree or a doctoral program, Nigerian universities provide a multitude of options to cater to your academic aspirations.
Furthermore, universities often collaborate with international institutions, offering joint and dual-degree programs that provide exposure to global perspectives and enhance cross-cultural understanding.
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
The postgraduate diploma PGD programme is designed as a make-up programme for candidates that did not make the minimum pass grade at bachelor’s degree. A postgraduate diploma is also to qualify for admission into the Master’s programme in cases where a graduate is crossing to a course at the Master’s degree level without a sufficient bachelor’s degree foundation.
A master’s degree is an advanced degree, normally after a bachelor’s degree in a relevant course of study.
This postgraduate programme goes into a niche of academic study. In Nigeria, a master’s degree takes about two years to complete at full-time study. Part-time master’s can take between two to four years.
There are different Master’s degree programs, with acronyms. Master of Science M.Sc., Master of Art M.A, Master of Pharmacy M.pharm., Masters in Law, LL.M, Masters in Business Administration MBA, The Master of Philosophy M.Phil is a special master’s that is a direct link for continuing a PhD.
In general, all master’s degrees are divided into two. Research masters and professional.
The research master’s degree involves in-depth academic studies and a quality thesis or dissertation after thorough research. For the professional, the aim is the industrial applicability of knowledge. It doesn’t need a thesis to graduate. The minimum CGPA for admission to a master’s degree is 3.0/5. Few universities can accept lower. Check this list for a master’s degree course search. Admission by the respective school of postgraduate studies is yearly.
A doctoral study program aka Doctor of Philosophy Ph.D is the highest academic degree obtainable by study. A PhD is awarded after a dutiful study by a qualified student with a master’s degree.
In Nigeria, like most parts of the world, a PhD is a research degree. A few times, there may be a little coursework component. At least 80% of the grade is awarded through a long dissertation and research.
A PhD in full-time is for a three-year minimum. This time can be longer. In Nigeria, many PhD students spend longer than usual in getting a PhD. There have been instances of students taking up to 10 years before completing their dissertations or thesis. The long delay for a PhD is a result of different factors, some from the students, research advisor or university institution.
For admission for a PhD, a candidate should have a grade point of about 4.0/5 or at least 3.0/5. In addition, a research proposal on a topic of interest should be prepared. To make the PhD admission concrete, it is better to visit the faculty and engage with professors who would be ready to take on the PhD student in supervision. For a list of PhD, check
Scholarship and Financial Aid Opportunities
Financing postgraduate education can be a concern for many individuals. However, Nigeria provides several scholarship and financial aid opportunities to support deserving students. The Nigerian government, through agencies such as the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB) and the Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF), offers scholarships for postgraduate study in various fields. Additionally, universities and research institutions often provide internal scholarships and assistantships, easing the financial burden and enabling talented individuals to pursue their academic goals.
Career Prospects and Networking Opportunities
Completing a postgraduate study program in Nigeria opens up exciting career prospects both within the country and internationally. Nigerian universities have strong industry connections and collaborations, providing opportunities for internships, research projects, and networking with professionals in diverse fields. These connections can significantly enhance your career trajectory and increase employment prospects upon graduation. Additionally, Nigeria’s growing economy and entrepreneurial culture offer numerous possibilities for postgraduate students to contribute to the country’s development and innovation.
Final Thoughts on Postgraduate Study in Nigeria
Nigeria provides an ideal environment for individuals seeking to further their education. With a robust education system, a variety of study programs, scholarship opportunities and strong industry connections. Immersing yourself in Nigeria’s rich academic and cultural milieu, will offer postgraduate students valuable skills, broaden their horizons and make significant contributions to their chosen fields. for a Postgraduate Programme in Nigeria.