The University of Lagos’ Institute of African and Diaspora Studies (IADS) is pleased to announce the 2023 call for applications for the Rahmon Bello Best Ph.D. Thesis Award in African and Diaspora Studies. This prestigious award encourages and recognises young intellectuals whose PhD theses address African and diaspora issues, as well as the reconfiguration of African Studies.
The award encourages innovative intellectual and multidisciplinary research in African Studies. Professor Rahmon Bello, the award’s recipient, is a former Vice Chancellor of the University of Lagos in Nigeria.
Prof. Rahmon Ade Bello is a Nigerian professor of Chemical Engineering and former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos. The best PhD award is done in his honour.
Highlights of Rahamon Bello PhD Awards
1. PhD dissertation must have been submitted by June 2023.
2. Thesis must be written in English and conducted in an African University.
3. Award prize is $1,000 (One thousand US Dollars).
4. Deadline for submission is 30th September 2023
Eligibility for Rahamon Bello Best PhD Award
1. An applicant must have completed the doctorate in any University/Research institute in Africa between the 1st of June, 2021 and the 31st of June, 2023;
2. Field of study must be within any of the Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Law, Management Sciences, and Education.
Documents to be submitted For application
1. A cover letter/letter of interest stating the motivation to apply for the award;
2. An extended abstract of the PhD thesis (written in English) of not more than 1,500 words, including a background of the study, statement of the problem, aim and objectives, the scope of the study, the significance of the study, theoretical framework, methodology, findings, and contributions to knowledge;
3. A Soft copy of the PhD thesis;
4. An Updated Curriculum Vitae (CV), including academic status, employment history and publication records; and
5. A Soft copy of the PhD certificate.
Note: All documents should be written in the English Language.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com with the subject heading “Rahamon Bello Best PhD. Thesis Award 2023.” All submissions will be acknowledged through email.
30th September 2023, 11.59 WAT (mid-night):
1st October to 31st November, 2023: Review and/or assessment of applications by independent selection committee.
10th November, 2023: Announcement of the award winner.
6th December, 2023: Award presentation and ceremony (to be done virtually and physically)
For further enquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org